Monday, January 5, 2009

Days 1 and 2 - Cuzco

Day 1 - Cuzco

Arrive at hostel: nice place, have my own private room for $12.
Within 10 minutes, had a knock on my door with an offering of Coca tea (a traditional Peruvian tea made with Coca leaves that is suppose to help with altitude sickness and an upset stomach).
Meet up with Ben and Petros at the Point hostel bar across town. Have a few drinks, play some pool and then head out to a couple of night clubs. Pretty much 2 for 1 beers all night long. 5 soles ($2CAD) for a large beer. Made it back to the hostel around 3:30am.

Day 2 - Cuzco

Slept until 11:30am (missed the breakfast they provide at the hostel)
Met up with Ben and toured around Cuzco all afternoon. It rained a little bit but you are jumping in and out of stores and shops so it doesn´t make it all that bad. Purchased some snacks for my hike starting on Wednesday. It is called the Salkantay Trail. 5 days and 4 nights of hiking and camping. Will definitely explain more when after I complete it.

Tomorrow will be visiting a few museums around town and drinking lots of water to prepare me for the hiking.
I´ve been light headed and lost my breath quite a bit since arriving in Cuzco. A little self reminder to breathe once and while definitely helps! Guess I should practice what I preach to the COPD patients at work.

Plan to get an early start tomorrow, a good breakfast and then explore the city some more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi shawn

keeping yourself busy. sounds like you have found someone with a similar plan as you. it nice once in a while to have another person that you go with. uncle gary still has not told me yet as of january 6th when or if he is coming for sure.

he is suppose to let me know again tonight or tommorrow. i tried calling you twice tonight once at 8:45, then at 9:05 pm, the answering lady came on.

take care

love dad.

Kari said...

I wish I was you right now!

We miss you lots Tronski!

Keep the updates rolling, be safe with that altitude!