Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Argentina

I must add, that Chileans are some of the nicest people I have met so far on this trip, and possibly throughout all of my travels. Even with the language barrier, they all seem to put an effort forward to help, even when not asked.
My first experience with Chileños, began even before stepping foot into the country. The family from Iquique welcomed me with open arms, made me feel more than welcome. Next was a stranger in Santiago. I was getting off the bus to catch a subway downtown when an old lady tapped me on the shoulder and motioned for me to follow her. She brought me to a map of the metro and explained where I had to go. On top of this she bought my ticket!
I won´t lie, I did have one one so friendly experience. Only one though! In the subway, I just finished buying a ticket when i was backing away from the counter and stepped on an old mans toe behind me. He started yelling (and cursing even though I couldn´t understand it), making a huge scene. I apologized numerous times. When he wouldn´t stop I just walked away. LOL Grumpy old man! Oh yah, and he was as tall as my Granny! I could have taken him!

My travels in Chile brought me from Iquique to Santiago, the capital city which is home to approximately 7 million people. My short 3 day visit to Santiago was enough time for me to see a few attractions. I visited the Palacio de la Real Audiencia/Museo Hisórico National, which walked me through the Conquest to paitings depicting modern political turmoil. Nothing was in English so I had to use my own interpreation a few times. After the museum I made my way to the central market. Basically, a huge farmers market. I loaded up on fresh fruit (no border crossings any time soon) and endulged with a few empanadas de pina.

Thinking that I am in decent shape, I decided to take to the challenge of climbing Cerro San Cristobal, a 730 hectare park. The goal was the 22m high statue of the Virgen de la Immaculadad Concepción, on the top. This was accomplished in the 32 degree scortching heat (and 3 stops for ice cream).
I made my way to Providencia, one of the ´to be´ areas in Santiago and had another ice cream serving. Participated in the BBQ at the hostel that night and got a decent night sleep.
Travelled by bus to Quintero and Playa Ritoque, where I spent the next 2 nights. I ventured to Valparaiso and Viña del Mar by bus one of the dayas. Valparaiso was the main port for ships sailing around the Cape Horn until the construction of the Panamal Canal. Viña del Mar is one of Chile´s most famous beach resorts.
Bused it back to Santiago´s airport where I luckily booked a flight 4 hours later to Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Arrived quite late to BA, straight to the hostel and to bed.

Checked into the Sheraton last night and tonight, to enjoy the comforts of a comfortable bed, my own room and Air Conditioning!!!!!! Cuz it´s crazy hot in BA right now!

My dad arrives in Buenos Aires in one hour!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds so awesome shawn!
I'm glad that Santiago worked out so well for you. You must have a horseshoe up your... or something! haha Well, at least for the next 10 or so days you will get to live in luxury again, not that you were really roughing it before! Oh well. When you get a chance, please just let me know that dad and uncle gary got there okay, and how everyone is doing! Thanks!

-Nicole

Anonymous said...

Dad and Uncle Gary arrived safely and on time. Next time you are at mum and dad´s, give us a shout. You can call my cell or the hotel we are staying at. Mum has the number. Talk soon!

Anonymous said...

What a nice lady!!! The one that helped you at Chile, that was really nice from her.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to write my name.

CUidate mucho.

Anita