Friday, July 3, 2009

Porcelain God!

I guess you can say I have been 'praying' to the 'Porcelain god' When you eat anything and everything in India - it's just a matter of time before you know where every toilet in a 1 km radius is located. It sort of becomes a second sense.

13 days in South India has been quite the experience.

I started off flying to Chennai from Dubai (stopover in Mumbai).

Spent a few days in Chennai. Met Aziz and Hafiz who showed me around the city and made sure I was all organized for my travels to Kerala.

On the eve of the 26th - I had dinner at the hotel, checked some email - organized some stuff for my trip and went up to the room. About 15 minutes later I had a knock at the door. When I opened it - there was Aziz, smiling, singing Happy Birthday with a cake and candle in his hands. (The candle wasn't in his hands it was in the cake) We enjoyed the chocolate cake with some good conversation. He returned home to his wife and I went to bed - another year older :)

For my Birthday - I met Hafiz, who took me to a crocodile park. I held a croc, python and turtle. In the evening, we went up with some of his friends and watched a Tamil Movie. No English - no English subtitles. So, I had to use non-verbal interpretation skills to try to understand what was going on. NO LUCK! My skills suck! haha

I had an overnight train to Alleppey where I booked a boathouse to myself for one night. I had a cook and two crew who were great! We travelled down the backwaters of Kerala, also known as the "Venice of the East" Absolutely beautiful! So peaceful! Even with the torrential rain!

I made my way to Kochin. Kochin is famous for the old Chinese Fishing Nets displayed on the waterfront. I also endulged with a Ayurvedic massage. Kerala is known for this type of treatment.

I then made my way back into the state of Tamil-Nadu to "The Temple City" of Madurai. I'll post pictures and they will explain everything. I stayed one night in Madurai and caught an early train to Thanjavur where I am now. (just killing some time before I catch a 6 hour bus back to Chennai...ugh!)

The food that I ate for dinner is still sitting nicely - howerver, I have been sitting for the past hour. I anticipate a mad rush to the toilet once I leave the internet cafe. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

shawn

nice that you had someone to share your birthday with. yes another year older, but a lot wiser.

would like to try real india food. sounds like even the young have a little trouble keeping it down.

love dad